Your garbage disposal is the unsung hero of your kitchen, tirelessly grinding away food waste and keeping your sink clean and odor-free. However, like any other appliance, it requires regular maintenance to ensure its optimal performance.
In this blog post, we will provide you with practical tips to address common issues and keep your garbage disposal running smoothly.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
By following these practical tips for garbage disposal maintenance, you can extend its lifespan and prevent costly repairs:
- Avoiding Clogs: The Key to a Happy Garbage Disposal – Never put non-food items, such as plastic, metal, or glass, down the disposal. Cut large food scraps into smaller pieces before disposing of them. Run cold water for a few seconds before and after using the disposal to help flush away debris.
- Tackling Foul Odors: Say Goodbye to Unpleasant Smells – Regularly clean your garbage disposal by pouring a mixture of baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Use citrus peels or ice cubes to freshen up the disposal and eliminate odors. Avoid disposing of pungent foods, like onion or garlic, as they can leave lingering smells.
- Dealing with Jams: Restoring Functionality in a Few Simple Steps – Turn off the disposal and unplug it before attempting to remove any jammed items. Use a hex wrench or an Allen wrench to manually rotate the disposal's blades and dislodge any obstructions. If the jam persists, contact a professional plumber to avoid causing further damage.
- Preventing Leaks: A Crucial Maintenance Step – Regularly inspect the connections between your garbage disposal and the sink for any signs of leaks. Tighten loose connections using a wrench but be careful not to overtighten and damage the pipes. If you notice persistent leaks, it's best to seek professional assistance to prevent water damage.
- Maintaining Sharp Blades: Ensuring Efficient Grinding – Avoid grinding hard items, such as bones, fruit pits, or coffee grounds, as they can dull the blades. Periodically sharpen the blades by grinding ice cubes or small chunks of rock salt. If your garbage disposal starts making unusual noises or becomes less effective, it may be time to replace the blades.
Remember, Little Tommy's Plumbing Shop, Inc. is always here to provide expert assistance and address any plumbing issues you may encounter.
Contact us online or give us a call at (847) 443-9115 today for reliable and efficient plumbing services in Highland Park, IL.